Monday, October 18, 2010

The Actress and I

Today’s post will be brief, primarily because I didn’t plan ahead and I have a couple of other things to tend to today. I do, however, have a few words to share.

I’m always on the look-out for something to blog about, so I’d like to give a shout-out to my companion at the baseball field this weekend who helped me come up with an idea. We’ll call her The Actress. The Actress and I sat through two baseball games on Saturday—slow games, boring games, games where nobody hit the ball. Her brother was playing right field; my son second and short. The Actress and I ate peanuts, contemplated the mystery of why every player on the team was looking at strike three, and talked about the long ride home after games such as these.

But at game three on Sunday….ahhhh game three. The bats were swinging and the players were sprinting around the bases. (Our guys, not theirs.) Again, The Actress and I contemplated the mystery. Did the players get a better night’s sleep? Eat a better breakfast? Was it those four or five sprints they ran between foul poles (which are technically fair poles) before the game began? No matter what the reason, The Actress and I agreed…

IF YOU DON”T SWING THE BAT, YOU CAN’T HIT THE BALL.

“Maybe you should blog about that,” The Actress said.

On a separate note-The Eckerd College Writers in Paradise Conference is accepting applications. This is a great program, and I highly recommend it. Find more information HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment