Monday, August 2, 2010

Who Knew - Another Hemingway House


Last week, I wrote about the many miles I have traveled over the years to visit the Hemingway house in Key West only to realize that, unbeknownst to me, he once lived in a house a mere few miles from where I once lived in Kansas City. So, today, after visiting with some fine folks at Rainy Day Books in Fairway, Kansas, Husband and I set out, mapquest in hand, to find this house.

Husband did the driving while I studied the directions. After much debate about which side of the road the house would be on based on its address, we decided to read the addresses stenciled in black on the curb. We found it—the only house in the neighborhood not visible from the road.

While awaiting the birth of their son in 1928, Hemingway and his wife, Pauline, lived here as guests of family friends. During this period, he worked on A FAREWELL TO ARMS. And while Husband and I were unable to wander through the halls of this house as we were the house in Key West, it is still a nice bit of history, and I am happy to have seen it. Below are a few pictures that I snapped.


No comments:

Post a Comment